Gretel is a branding agency based in New York. We’re currently looking for an ambitious, and talented Design Director to join our team. As Design Director you’ll work closely with Creative Directors and Project Managers, along with the design team to create award-winning creative solutions for our clients. You’ll be an exceptional design talent and strategic thinker who is ready to take the next step in your career and make a difference to clients’ businesses through innovative design.
As a Design Director at Gretel, your daily responsibilities will entail working closely with Creative Directors and Strategists to crack the big idea and manage the design development with your team of designers, animators and writers. You will be expected to show initiative and proactivity and demonstrate your creative vision for every project. You’ll be able to take direction from Creative Directors but take ownership of projects, seeking guidance when appropriate. You’ll be expected to write and design presentations and deliver them to clients. You’ll be an exceptional writer who is able to articulate themselves professionally and creatively. Finally, you’ll be a cut above the rest – not just good but great – eager to work hard to produce work that cuts through the noise and shapes the cultural landscape.
To apply, email email@example.com with “Design Director” in the subject.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with creative directors to lead the creative vision on projects.
• Inspire and lead the design team to deliver exceptional creative results that solve our clients’ problems.
• Lead, mentor and inspire junior members of the creative team and provide design direction.
• Take responsibility for the design direction and output of multiple projects simultaneously.
• Foster a creative and collaborative environment within the studio.
• Contribute to the external profile of Gretel.
• Develop deep relationships with our clients to understand their needs and establish Gretel as a trusted advisor to their businesses.
• Use logic and intuition to distill unstructured information into valuable insights and creative territories for designers to springboard from.
• Develop creative branding elements and design concepts that meet the business objectives.
• Implement feedback from clients to refine and revise work.
• Estimate required timeline to finalize work and ensure timely developments and execution of plans, campaigns and projects.
• Prepare and develop design briefs to ensure focus on the designed results of the project.
• Interact with different creative disciplines including printers, copywriters, photographers, stylists, illustrators, other designers, account executives, web developers and marketing specialists to deliver creative outcomes.
• Communicate with various teams to creatively problem solve any arising issues.
• Write, design and deliver compelling presentations to clients.
Qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills
• 8-10 years of experience of brand identity experience, preferably within an agency.
• Experience in managing designers.
• An analytical mindset with strong business acumen.
• A creative flare with a love of design.
• Strong creative writing skills.
• The ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams.
• Strong communication and presentation skills.
• Adobe Creative Suite mastery.
• Experience directing motion and UI/UX preferable.